Volunteering with Clove Alliance is an enriching and rewarding way to stand against sexual violence. We are always looking for compassionate people to support our mission of hope and healing. Whether you want to be a comforting voice for someone in crisis, help our office run smoothly, or lend a hand at our events, we want you on our side.
Please contact [email protected] or call 815-932-7273 to learn more.
Volunteers can support Clove Alliance and survivors by serving in multiple capacities. Our three main opportunities are listed below.
24/7 Crisis Hotline Advocate
- Answering Crisis Calls
- Provide support, information, referrals, and empathy on calls
- Provide Medical Advocacy at the local hospitals
- Time commitment: 16 or 24-hour shifts, advocates typically serve 1 to 2 shifts a month
Events and Special Projects Advocate
- Assisting at Agency Events
- Booths at Fairs
- Prep work for Events
- Participating in committees and task forces
- In-Office tasks
- Time commitment: Periodically throughout the year
Front Desk Advocate
- Occasional assistance with Front Desk Coverage in-office
- Time commitment: A couple of times a month during office hours
Clove Alliance serves Kankakee, Iroquois, and Ford counties. Hotline advocates’ shifts are facilitated remotely over the phone and respond to two hospitals in Kankakee. Office volunteers primarily serve at our main office in Kankakee, with limited opportunities in-office at our Iroquois location.
All volunteers must complete our 40-hour Crisis Intervention Training and attend 4 quarterly meetings a year.
Becoming A Volunteer
Clove Alliance highly values volunteers who are great listeners, empathetic, non-judgemental, responsible, and reliable. If you think you are a good fit, contact the Director of Volunteer Services at [email protected]. You will need to submit a volunteer application form and background forms to start the process. The next step is a pre-training interview followed by Sexual Assault Crisis Intervention Training. Once completed, you’ll be able to serve in the capacity of your choice. You must be 18+ years old to volunteer.
Sexual Assault Crisis Intervention Training
The completion of our 40-hour Sexual Assault Crisis Intervention training is required to become a Clove Alliance volunteer. In this comprehensive training, participants learn to:
- Respond to sexual violence survivors with sensitivity and support
- Recognize issues influencing different types of sexual violence
- Understand the medical and legal rights of survivors
- Apply theories of rape culture
- Utilize person-centered practices and more!
The training offers many benefits! Participants earn a certificate in Sexual Assault Crisis Intervention and qualifying professionals can earn 35 CEUs/CPDUs in partnership with KCC.
Professionals earning 35 CEUs/CPDUs: $300.
Volunteer candidates: $75.
Supervision and Support
All volunteers will be supervised by the Director of Volunteer Services. Volunteers will attend numerous meetings and training throughout the year for continued support and learning opportunities. All Clove Alliance staff members are also available to support volunteers while serving with the agency.